Wednesday, October 7, 2020

A Boat Swamps Out Part of the Pier

 When I said that I was going to get off my soap box, I forgot I had this post waiting the wings.


 Anyone who has followed this blog through the summer knows that the water levels on the Great Lakes are up quite a bit over previous years.  Where there used to be the Rocky Beach on Belle Isle is now water.  In some places, the water is coming over places where there used to be a pier.

At the spot where I watch boats, there is spot on the pier where the pier is barely above the water.  When boats come by like this one, the water will actually swamp the pier and woah to anyone who is standing there at the time.

People like to blame the freighters for this while they ignore boats like the one above.  If freighters have to control their wake, so should boats like the one above.  One of the other consequences of the high water is that some of the beaches are eroding.  When boats fly by like the one above, they contribute to the further erosion.

No comments: