Tuesday, October 27, 2020

An Appearance by the Samuel Risley

 The next ship was kind of a treat in two ways.

Number one, because these are usually shown in the same colors as a tugboat on AIS, I was not expecting this ship.
Number two, this ship is an ice breaker mostly and I don't usually see her in the capacity of performing Aids to Navigation Work.  So it was cool to see her when it was not freezing out.
She is an icebreaker and buoy tender that is stationed in the Great Lakes.  She is registered in Ottawa and normally based in Parry Sound which is near Sudbury, Ontario.
During the winter, she is responsible for keeping an ice free passage from Thunder Bay to Port Colborne.  This is of course when both the Soo Locks and Welland Canal are open.
In 2016, she underwent a major refit.
In 2018, she made her maiden voyage to the Arctic Ocean by helping in the resupply of the US Air Force station in Thule, Greenland.
I will have to admit that she is a pretty cool looking vessel.
I didn't switch to my drone for drone shots though.  I wasn't sure how the Canadian Coast Guard would view a drone flying over their ship.
I think I've heard that the US Coast Guard is not particularly happy about drones flying over US cutters.
As it was, I pretty happy with the shots from my normal camera.
It was nice to see some of the colors on the Canadian side.
I think she was heading down to Amherstburg as there is a Canadian Coast Guard station there.
The beam shot.
One more before moving on.


No comments: