Thursday, October 8, 2020

And Then There Was the Lovely Kaye E. Barker

 Again, it wasn't long for the next ship to appear.  The ships on Saturday were in a fairly compressed space.

I don't remember where the Barker was heading down from.  I think it was one of the stone ports again.
If that was the case, it was less than a day's travel to this point.  The stone ports are typically Port Inland which is west of St. Ignace, Port Dolemite which is east of St. Ignace but before Detour, Calcite which is near Rogers City.  I think there are a couple others on the Canadian shoreline but the ones I listed above are the ones used most often.
She was heading down to Toledo.
I don't think this is a trip she often makes but I think Cleveland Cliffs just built a smelting plant in Toledo.  It is supposed to be fully operational by next year.  Of course, COVID may have delayed that.
I will have to say that the Kaye Barker is one of the better looking ships out there.
She is one of the few that has three decks on pilothouse and I think the middle deck is used for guests of the company.
Unless you win a raffle, that is the only way that you can be a passenger on one of these ships.
I would love to get a ride on one of these but I suspect that it would be pretty boring.  It would still be cool to follow on a trip.
I hear that they take care of passengers pretty well though.
And I take a couple more pictures with my regular camera before switching to the drone.
The colors are starting to turn but you can't really tell that from these pictures.
One more picture with my regular camera.
And then I switched to my drone.
It was starting to cloud up at this point but the winds were still pretty calm.
I think this is the view that I like the most.  I like the fact that I can see the deck and stuff.  For all the years of shipwatching, I have not seen this.
The beam shot.
And she continues on her way.
I think if you look closely at this picture, you can see the next ship.
You can definitely see it in this picture.
And one more shot with my normal camera.
 

No comments: