Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Catching Up With the Appledore

 It has been a while since I've seen the Appledore on the River.  So I was happy to catch her.

As I was watching the Cuyahoga go down river, I saw the Appledore coming up river.
The Appledore had just passed through the Lafayette Bridge.  Construction on the Lafayette Bridge was completed in 1938.  It replaced a bridge that was there before.  The prior bridge was in such bad shape that they used a pontoon bridge while replacing it.
The Bridge connects M-84 to M-13.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 but was removed in 2015.
In 1987, many of the pieces of the bridge were replaced.  It will be undergoing another renovation soon.
I think this is the Appledore V but I'm not sure.
At any rate, it is a two masted schooner.
She represents a typical ship of the Great Lakes at the end of the age of sail.
You can take cruises on her.


No comments: