Thursday, October 8, 2020

The Dossin Museum From the Air

I had some charge left in the batteries on my drone and I decided I wanted some other pictures.

I figured that since I was close enough, I would get some pictures of the pilothouse of the William Clay Ford.
The William Clay Ford was a steamship that belonged to the Ford Motor Company's line of ships.  She was launched from the Great Lakes Engineering Works in 1953.  She was one of the ships dedicated to getting ore from the mines in the Upper Peninsula and Minnesota to the steel mill in Dearborn.

She was the ship that left her safe anchorage to help look for the Edmund Fitzgerald with the Arthur M. Anderson.  In 1986, she was scrapped but her pilothouse was saved to the Dossin Museum.

Of all the times that I've been inside the museum, I've never gotten any pictures of the pilothouse from the outside.  I would love to see them add a bow, but I'd hate to think how much that would cost.

And then I scooted over to catch a picture of the Edmund Fitzgerald anchor.  This anchor was lost in the Detroit River before the ship sank.  They sent a team of divers to retrieve it from the bottom of the Detroit River.  It was restored and is now a monument.


No comments: