Friday, October 16, 2020

The Honorable James L. Oberstar on the Rouge River

Normally Thursday night is my night to go to the aluminum aviary but I looked at Marine Traffic first.  I saw that there was a ship heading up the Rouge River.  Since I haven't caught a ship on the Rouge in a while, I decided to head over that way.

First I decided to stop at the Fort Street Bridge.  I decided that I would use my drone here.  Since I've never shot from the Fort Street Bridge, it was a different experience.  Although I probably should have used my normal camera from here.
The Fort Street Bridge was damaged a few years ago when the drunk bridge tender decided to close the bridge on the Herbert C. Jackson.
It used to be a double cantilever bridge like the other two on the Rouge River but for some reason they couldn't do that.
It's a single cantilever bridge and it's got a nice looking bridge house.
Anyway, the Oberstar was heading up past the Dix Street Bridge to deliver taconite to the steel mill there.
I kind of like the lights reflecting on the river.  
And she starts to pass through the bridge.
I was only going to get a couple of pictures here because I wanted to head over to the Dix Street Bridge.
One more shot from here.  Once of these days I will try to get more in front of the ship so I can get a shot passing through that way.
So then I headed over to the Dix Avenue Bridge.  I wanted to get some pictures with my other camera.
I kind of wish that oil container wasn't there, it would have made for a nice fall picture.
I want to say she's only going a couple knots at this point.  I wasn't quite sure I would be able to get here because it was getting dark pretty rapidly.
Anyway, she was heading to the steel mill on the other side of the bridge.
I think she was coming down from Marquette.
I know that she had a load of taconite.  Taconite is purified iron pellets.
One more shot, her boom lights are on and she looks kind of cool.
 

No comments: