Monday, September 18, 2017

And the Ojibway Makes Eleven

I think I've seen more than ten ships in one day once.  That was also on a day where I woke up at five in the morning and got to Port Huron early enough to catch the ship at first light.
 I was about ready to leave when I saw that there was one more ship approaching.  She was probably about a half hour after the St Clair.  I was getting kind of anxious to get home at this point but it was a ship I wanted to see.
 The Ojibway started life as the Charles L. Hutchinson and was built at Defoe Shipyard in Bay City, Michigan.  Bay City is my home town, so this is a special boat to me.  I think she may be the last Defoe built ship actively sailing.  I know that there are some other boats but they are not active at the moment (but they should be).
 Because the Ojibway is a straight decker (i.e., no self-unloading mechanism), she is mostly used for the grain trades.
 And they don't normally start moving grain until August or September.
 As I was taking these pictures, she was on her way to Sorel which is half way between Montreal and Trois Rivieres.  As I am typing this, she is there.
 She is a nice looking boat.

 A shot of her pilothouse.
 The Canadian Flag flapping the breeze.
And one more shot before calling it a day.

No comments: