Thursday, September 21, 2017

Planespotting at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

Before I headed down to Cleveland, I had to take a gander at FlightAware to see if there were any aircraft that were coming into the airport there or leaving.  I saw that there was a United 757-300 that was landing there.  Unfortunately, it landed before I could get there but I kept an eye on it because I figured if it landed there, it would be leaving there.

Hopkins International was founded in 1925 and services all of Northeast Ohio and is the busiest airport in Ohio.  It was the first municipality owned airport in the country.  It was the home of the first air traffic control tower and the first ground to air radio system.  It was also the first to employ a split level terminal with one level for arrivals and another for departures.

Currently there are no intercontinental flights to or from Cleveland but in May of next year, both Icelandair and Wow Airlines will feature flights to and from Keflavik.
 I caught this plane when I was Wendy Park.  It was preparing to land at the airport.  I think it was arriving from Atlanta.
 This was a Life Flight Helicopter.
 After a little bit of searching, I was able to find a decent place to get some departure pictures.  I think this was the same plane from the first picture and it was on its way to Las Vegas.
 I think this was a Delta flight to Detroit.  The total in the air time from Cleveland to Detroit is 26 minutes (or thereabouts).  I have to believe there are times when the plane spends more time on the gorund than in the air.
 I couldn't quite make out the tail number of this plane.
 Same with this plane, but it was a Frontier plane.
 This particular plane is an Embrear 135 that was on its way to Newark.
And it turns out that this is the plane that I was looking for.  In case I missed it, I tried to see if there were other 757 flights out of Cleveland and it turns out that there aren't.  It also turns out that this particular plane was on its way to Baltimore which I think means that it was the charter plane that carried the Browns to play the Ravens.  Fun fact:  This plane has won as many Super Bowls as the Browns.

No comments: