Thursday, September 21, 2017

Catching the Goodyear Blimp

After catching the plane at the airport, I saw that there was another ship that was starting to make its way into the Cuyahoga River.  So I found myself heading back down to Wendy Park again.
 As I arrived, I saw a ship of a different sort.  Well the Goodyear Blimp anyway.  I saw it passing over the Terminal Tower and I needed a picture of it.  Construction of it was completed in 1930 and at the time, it was the second tallest building in the world.  For the longest time, it was the tallest building in North America outside of New York.  It remained the tallest building in Ohio until the completion of the Key Tower in 1991.

 I'm pretty sure that I have posted pictures of the Goodyear Blimp before because I've been a few places where I've seen it but still, the story of the Blimp is nice.  From the launch of its first blimp in 1925 until the retirement of the Spirit of Innovation this year, Goodyear has always used non-rigid airships in its fleet.  In 2014, they began to replace their non-rigid blimps with semi-rigid airships (but they still use the term blimp).
 This is pretty close to my trifecta of shots.  There is a train, a boat and a blimp.  But not quite what I meant because it's not a ship and an airplane.
 N1A was christened as Wingfoot One on August 23, 2014 near Akron, Ohio.  It was built by the Zeppelin Company in Germany.
This particular one is based in Ohio.

No comments: