Friday, September 8, 2017

The Lovely Lee

When I checked AIS on Sunday morning, I saw that the Lee A. Tregurtha was heading down to the steel mill on the Rouge River.  I didn't think there would be anyway I would catch her.  The timing seemed like it would be after dark that she would leave which meant she would be passing at night.
 It turns out that she didn't leave until the next morning which meant that I would have a chance to catch her.  I kind of wish I would have known that because I would have tried to catch her leaving the Rouge River.  The sun would have been just right for that.
 I think that she was headed back up to Marquette to pick up another load of taconite to return to the Rouge Steel plant.
 I think that is a trip she makes fairly often but she does other trips.  If you look at the bottom, there is a cormorant saluting her.
 And a seagull flying over her.
 The almost beam shot.
 A shot of her pilothouse.  If you look closely, you can see that she wears a ribbon bar.  This is a reminder of her days in World War II when she was the tanker Chiwawa.
And she continues up Lake Huron.  If I remember correctly, her journey to Marquette would be a little under 30 hours.

No comments: