Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Kaye E. Barker Passes the Rocky Beach

Last Sunday I decided to go down to Belle Isle with a friend.  I saw that there was a pair of ships to catch.  He's been out of town for a while, so it was nice to go out photographing with him.
 The first ship was the Kaye E. Barker.
 I think she had a load of taconite and was coming down from Marquette to deliver it to the Dearborn steel mill.
 She makes this voyage quite often and if I remember correctly it is about 4 day journey round trip (including unloading time).
 I was near the tip of Belle Isle because that gives me a chance to get some fairly clean pictures of the ships.  Here she is passing Windmill Point.
 It also gives me an opportunity to get a bow shot.
 Another picture with Windmill Point in the background.
 I think my favorite part about this is that I can get some fairly clean shots with nothing in the background.  This is where Lake St. Clair crosses into the Detroit River.
 She is just about to enter the mouth of the channel.
 The almost beam shot.
And she continues down the river.  From this point, it is about 2 hours from her destination.

No comments: