Sunday, April 19, 2020

Catching the Survival Flight Helicopter

As I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get pictures of the oil, I heard the helicopter getting ready to take off from the hospital.  I wasn't too far from a spot where I could get a decent picture, so I walked over there.
 The helicopter is a Eurocopter EC-155 (Now Airbus H155) which was developed from their Dauphin (Dolphin) line of helicopters.  It first flew in 1997 and the first production model was introduced in 1999.  The first customer was the German Federal Police system.
 It has 1 or 2 pilots and can carry 13 passengers.  It has two turboshaft engines which gives it a speed of 175 knots.  I thought it was pretty cool to get a picture of it with the hospital as a backdrop.  Usually I catch it in flight on the way to somewhere.
 When I looked up this one on FlightAware, apparently it was heading over to Detroit for something.  The flight lasted 17 minutes and they stayed for roughly 2 hours.
 This is what I'm normally used to seeing.
Or this.  Anyway, it was pretty cool to catch even though I really wanted to catch the owl.

No comments: