Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Catching the Algoma Conveyor

 I thought I would be catching another ship yesterday.  But that ship didn't get through the Welland Canal until today and based on timing, it doesn't look like I will catch her tomorrow.  Anyway, this ship was being chased by a Coast Guard tug boat, so I figured I would go out and catch her.

The ship I wanted to catch was the CSL Tadoussac but she didn't pass through the Welland Canal until today.  It looks like she will be arriving in Detroit early tomorrow, so I can hope I will catch her on the way to her next destination.
The ship that I did catch was the Algoma Conveyor.  She makes for another favorite ship because of her name.
The name reminds me of the Atlantic Conveyor which was a container ship that was used to transport Harriers during the Falklands Conflict.
The Atlantic Conveyor was attacked by the Argentinians.
She was attacked by two Argentine Super Entendard fighters which launched two Exocet missiles.
Both missiles hit the ship and the ship sank while it was under tow.  Her Captain, Ian North was posthumously awarded the British Distinguished Service Cross.  The Atlantic Conveyor was the first British merchant vessel sank since World War II.
The Algoma Conveyor was completed in 2019 and started to sail on the Great Lakes.
She is a 740 foot long ship and has a self unloading crane.
She can carry up to 36,000 tons of cargo.
She was passing Marysville when I first caught her.
She continues up.
I headed to Port Huron next.
She was heading up to Thunder Bay.  I hope she doesn't get stuck in the ice that currently covers Whitefish Bay.
Anyway, it looks like she still has a nice layer of ice on her.  It was still pretty cold yesterday.
It makes her look like she has a mouth.
The bow shot.
There were a ton of seagulls yesterday.
She makes the turn for the lake.
Under the Blue Water Bridge.
Framed by the Blue Water Bridge.  The sky looked pretty cool yesterday.
She continues on.
Her pilothouse.
Her pilothouse is designed for work on the Great Lakes.
the stones there.
One more shot as she heads into Lake Huron.


No comments: