Thursday, March 17, 2022

The Stormont Tug Making an Appearance

 So I decided to head down to Belanger Park today.  I saw that I had a chance to catch a ship.  Given that ships are fairly sparse right now, I figured it would be a idea.


The Stormont was originally built in 1953 by the Canadian Dredge and Dock company.  She was given her current name and worked for the Ontario Ministry of Transport.  She moved around for a while before she landed at McKeil Marine in 2014.  She currently serves as the truck ferry with her current barge.

In 2014, the Michigan Department of Transportation would no longer allow hazardous material to get transported over the Ambassador Bridge.  Trucks were already banned from the tunnel.  If you hand hazardous material, you had to go up to the Blue Water Bridge.  This ferry service was set up to transport hazardous waste.  I have a feeling this will end when the Gordie Howe Bridge is built.

I apologize for the picture, it was 70 today and the water was not.  That made for heat haze, therefore not the greatest picture.

No comments: