Saturday, March 5, 2022

The Griffin Passes Belle Isle

I was thinking about going down to Cleveland today to get some pictures of the Alpena as she was in layup.  Before heading out, I checked out Marine Traffic and saw that there would be something passing by Belle Isle, so I decided to head there instead.

While there wasn't enough ice on the Detroit River to hinder the passage, I think there was some on the St. Clair River.  So the ship I was going to catch was being led by the Griffin.
The Griffin is considered as a light icebreaker.  I think she is roughly the equivalent of the new Mackinaw.
She was built in 1969 by Davie Shipbuilding in Lauzon, Quebec.
She is mainly deployed in the Great Lakes, she has gone out to Hudson Bay.
I think she is going to get a refit soon, she had one in 1995.  One of the nice things about the Great Lakes is that they aren't as corrosive as the ocean, so ships tend to last longer on them.
She had an incident a few years ago where she caused some flooding.
She also helped the Arthur M. Anderson get free once when she was stuck off Conneaut.
One more shot.
 

No comments: