Friday, March 4, 2022

The Holly Union Depot

 I had to take the afternoon off to take my mom to a doctor's appointment.  It was early enough in the afternoon that I decided to head up to Durand to possibly catch some trains.  I didn't see any trains there but I saw one that was heading towards Holly.  I thought I could catch a train there but I didn't leave soon enough nor could I drive fast enough to catch it.  While I still had some light, I decided to take a picture of the depot.


Holly was originally established with the presence of saw and grist mills in 1844.  In 1855, the Detroit and Milwaukee railroad arrived and they constructed a small depot.  In 1864, the Flint and Holly railroad came into Holly.  The two railroads built a wooden depot at the current site but it burned down in 1884.  In 1886, the current depot was completed.  It served passengers until 1964 when the Grand Trunk Railroad ceased passenger service.  In 1998, the building was bought by Holly and may be moved.

No comments: