Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The Bristol Bay Heads Up to Lend a Helping Hand

 As I said in the last post, there is a nice sheet of ice over Whitefish Bay.  I think I read somewhere that it is 12 feet thick.  It is causing some trouble for the ships that are trying to start the season.

The Bristol Bay is normally stationed in Detroit.  She is across from Belle Isle at the end of McNichols Street.
She is a Coast Guard tug but can be used for ice breaking.  She has a bubbler near her bow that is used to push the ice up and away.
She is also used for buoy tending.  When she is doing that, she is pushing a barge.
But at any rate, she is heading up to Whitefish Bay to lend a helping hand up there.  Currently, there is the Mackinaw, Griffon and a couple of other ships.
She might be used for other spots where there is ice, like the St Marys River.
At any rate, she is pretty nice looking.
I love this shot with a pair of swans in front.
More of the beam shot.
She continues on her way.
I was hoping that I would catch her as as she passed under the Blue Water Bridge but she ended up stopping where the Hollyhock normally docks.  I think she took on fuel and got some rest for her crew.  She ended up continuing today.


No comments: