Sunday, April 3, 2022

Catching the American Century on the Flip Side

 It's not often that I get to catch a ship on the return trip but it happens.  This one was accidental though.

I caught the American Century in Algonac as she was heading down to Conneaut to deliver taconite.
It is roughly a day down there from Algonac.  I think the unload is about 10 to 15 hours.  And then it is a day back.
I don't know if she stopped for fuel.  Sometimes ships will stop at Mistersky, Sterling or the fuel dock in Sarnia on the way back.
I think that depends on when they last filled up.  I think she filled up before this trip, so she might have had enough fuel to make it back.
She's heading up to the coal dock in Superior.
I think that means she might be back down this way, as that is probably a delivery to the electric plant in St. Clair.
The bow shot.  This is probably my favorite shot in Port Huron.
She makes the turn for the lake.
I also like this angle.
And then I had to switch to my drone.  My friend had his drone.  There were two other drones.
I made sure to stay out of their way.  We might need a traffic controller at some point.
She heads out to the lake.
Close to a beam shot.
Closer.
I couldn't pull back enough to get a whole beam shot, so I just got the pilot house.
She heads out to Lake Huron.
In normal days, it would be about a two and a half day trip to Superior from this point but there is still ice on Lake Superior, so it might take longer.  Anyway, it was cool to see this ship again.


No comments: