Saturday, July 16, 2022

Blue Angels Practice Day - Friday

 I took yesterday off in order to get some better shots of the Blue Angels as they were practicing.  It was a pretty nice day for it except that it was a little on the warm side.  It was pretty cool and the fact that it was free was even better.

This was a Beechcraft Model 18 in US Navy colors.  The Model 18 first flew in 1937 and over 9000 were built.  In the Navy it was known as an SNJ-2 Kansan and was used to train navigators and bombardiers.  
A Gulfstream III taking off.  This was not part of the air show.
Always happy to see the Yankee Lady.
Another angle of her.
This is a CH-53 Sea Stallion built by Sikorsky.  This may be the first time I've seen one of these in flight.  I've seen a few as static displays.
It is a heavy lift helicopter and came because of a need for heavy lift helicopters.
It first flew in 1966 and has seen service in all branches.
The Michigan Survival Flight Helicopter.
The Blue Angels C-130 called Fat Albert on its takeoff roll.
Banking.
During one of its passes.
I think this would have been a photo pass if I were in the crowd area.
This was pretty cool.
As it was turning.
I like this shot.
As it was landing.
The Blue Angels as they were taxiing.
Blue Angels 3 and 4.
The two opposing solo Blue Angels.
I kind of like this shot even though it was through the fence.
Fat Albert after landing.
The Blue Angels getting ready.
The diamond formation.
They break.
On a pass.
One of the solos as it gets into a high speed pass.
The other solo.
THe diamond again.
I think they were doing stuff they wouldn't do in show because I saw a few things repeated.
I think they also use the opportunity to get an idea what the lighting would be like.
I liked the shot I got at Traverse City better.
The diamond in landing configuration.
This was cool.
One of the breaks.
I forget what this formation was called.
Echelon formation.
Climbing.
Another break.
And another.
A pass.
The two opposing solos passing.
I kind of like this shot.
Another diamond.
With the humidity, the smoke lingered at spots.
The delta formation.
Anotehr break.

And the planes peel off as they get ready to land.

No comments: