Sunday, July 3, 2022

The Cherry Festival Air Show - Part I

 I've been meaning to go the Cherry Festival in Traverse City for a number of years.  They have an air show and it wasn't until this year that I realized I could see it for free because they did it over the bay.  I figured I had to get up early to make it up there to find a spot.  Sadly, I didn't get up there early enough.

The Bristol Bay was serving as show center.  That was pretty cool.
One of the many boats that were there.
A pair of HH-60s that are assigned to the Coast Guard Air Station in Traverse City.
I've wanted to see one of these for a long time.  They are painted to look like old Coast Guard aircraft.
I think they are more capable than the Dolphin that I usually see.
IT was pretty cool to see.
If I had been closer, I could have seen them doing a rescue demonstration.
The Manitou was near where I was watching the air show.  She was just going out on a tour of the bay.
It was pretty cool because they were raising the sails.  I could hear them barking out the orders.
Another shot of the Jayhawk.
The other sail raised.  The Manitou is a schooner.
Next up was a MiG-17.
The MiG-17 is the successor to the MiG-15.  The MiG-15 was made famous by the Korean War.
The MiG-17 was equipped with an afterburner.
A pretty cool shot.
A Huey helicopter that belongs to the State Police.
The Manitou with full sail.
Another shot.
An AV-8 Harrier belonging to the Marine Corps.  This plane was designed by the British and can take off and land vertically.  They did a demonstration of it hovering, that was pretty cool.
This plane is called a Yak-110.  
It has two Yak-55 planes together with a jet engine between them.
It was debuted at Oshkosh.
I need to get there one of these days.
A Mediflight helicopter.
A mallard.
Another shot of the mallard.
Mrs. Mallard and her baby.
An F-16 Fighting Falcon from Shaw Air Force base.
It is painted to look like a snake.
One of the other nicknames for the F-16 is the Viper.
I liked watching this plane.
The paint scheme was pretty cool.
There was just enough moisture in the air.
Turning.
A P-51 Mustang.
This was pretty cool.
The did a heritage flight with the P-51.
A view I wouldn't want to see.
The P-51 is wearing invasion stripes.
They break apart.
One more view of the Falcon.
And of the P-51.

Part II has more pictures.


No comments: