Sunday, July 10, 2022

The Michigan Central Train Station from the Air

 So I went over to Port Huron yesterday to catch a pair of boats.  I didn't realize that there was construction on I-94, so I got off I-94 at Livernois and headed to Michigan Avenue.  As I was approaching the train station, I noticed that there were several train cars backed up.  I figured that gave me the opportunity to get a picture I've been wanting for a while.

I tried to get this shot before but there was a Tiger's game and I couldn't fly my drone in the area.  I was hoping that there wasn't a game.
Turns out that there wasn't and I was able to fly my drone.  If I had gotten the shot last time, it would have been a Canadian Pacific engine.
This time, it was a Union Pacific engine, which is fine by me because they are fairly rare in this area.
It also gave me a chance to get some pictures of the train station.  Since Ford bought it, they have done quite a bit of work on it and it is starting to come back to its former glory.  I'd have to say that this building was probably one of the most famous in Detroit.  It also was a stark reminder of the decay that was Detroit.  For the longest time, it didn't even have windows.  Ford is bringing it back and I guess it can represent another rebirth of Detroit.
I was trying some angles where I could get the whole station in the picture.  This was probably the best.
Since the train was stopped, I had several chances to get the angle I wanted.  Apparently the reason why this station was bought in the first place was because the trains going to Canada had to pass by it.  I'm not sure how that worked for the owner though.
Looking off towards downtown.
A beam shot.
Another shot with the station.
Unfortunately, the track near here needs some work.


No comments: