Saturday, April 22, 2023

Catching the Oberstar Between the Raindrops

 The next ship was following fairly closely behind the other ship. It wasn't too long before she appeared on the horizon.

It started to rain harder as she appeared.  But this time I was wearing a jacket, so I stayed a little dryer.
Unfortunately, it made it hazier.
But it was cold enough to see the plume of steam coming from the scrubbers.
She was coming down from Marquette.  That is roughly 30 hours from this point.
As such she had a load of taconite.
Taconite is lower grade iron ore that has been refined to be near 100%.
It is melted into pellets which makes it easier to carry.
It also means that they can control the amount more precisely.
She is heading down to Dearborn where there is a steel mill.
From this point, it is about 8 hours to Dearborn.
I was hoping that I could catch her but she would be arriving there around 10 P.M.
Maybe I can catch her leaving Dearborn but I doubt it.  I think the unload time is around 5 hours.
She starts to turn towards the channel.
I love this shot.
The bow shot.
She makes the turn for the channel.
It's kind of cool just to watch the ballet.
It's also amazing there are no issues.
I kind of wish I had this shot without the raindrops on the lens.


No comments: