Thursday, June 11, 2015

St Patrick's Church

I was going to head to Muskegon tonight in order to catch the Paul R. Tregurtha as she was leaving there.  I made it as far as Lansing when I saw that she was leaving the channel there.  So I turned around.  As I was heading back into town, I decided to get off at North Territorial Road so that I could get some pictures of the church.
 The church was founded in this area in the 1830's in order to support a growing number of Irish Catholics that was settling this area.  The first priest was named Father Patrick O'Kelly.  Originally, this church was named St. Brigid's and is the oldest English speaking Catholic Church in the State.
 The current Gothic Revival church was built in 1878.  It was named to the state register of Historic Places in 1976 and the National Register in 1982.
 A Jesus statue nearby.
 Across Whitmore Lake Road there is a cemetary with a few cool looking gravestones.
 Some of them are pretty old too.
 Kind of an overall shot of the cemetery.
One more shot of the Church itself.

No comments: