Friday, May 17, 2019

Catching a Surprise Visitor

As I was getting ready to head back home, I looked down the river and I saw a ship approaching.  As I looked it up on AIS, I saw that it was a ship I hadn't seen before.  So I waited around for a bit to catch her.
It turns out that it was Canadian Coast Guard research vessel Limnos.
 She was built by Port Weller Drydock Company in Port Weller, Ontario.  She was completed in 1968 and was refitted in 1981 and 2010.
 She is based in Burlington, Ontario and used as a survey and research vessel.  She is used in hydrographic and limnological research.  Hydrographic research means that she is used in measuring and describing the features which affect maritime navigation.  She will be used to do soundings and her information is used to update nautical charts.  Limnology is the study of inland aquatic ecosystems.
 She is equipped with a wet and dry laboratory.  She is also equipped with boats that can be launched.
 She is also equipped with a number of winches that can be used to gather aquatic samples.
 She will sometimes work with other vessels.
 I'll have to say that she is a pretty neat looking ship.
 I think she was heading up to Sarnia.
 She is registered in Ontario.
One more shot before leaving.

No comments: