Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Herbert C. Jackson at Port Huron

Just before I left Fish Point, I took a look at Marine Traffic to see if there was anything I was interested in catching passing at about the time I would pass Port Huron.  It turns out that there were two of them.  Both of them classic lakers.  So I ended up taking M-25 to get to Port Huron.
The first of those two ships was the Herbert C. Jackson.  This is not my first time catching her this season but I do like catching her when possible.
She was on her way to Cleveland with a load of taconite, I think.  I'm not sure if she picked it up in Marquette or at one of the Minnesota harbors.  At any rate, from this point she would have about 12 hours to get there.
The first of two straight on shots that I can get from this vantage point.  This one as she is turning to get into the channel leading into the mouth of the St. Clair River.
She goes on straight for a bit.  I think this is in line with the two channel markers just south of the Blue Water Bridge.
She starts to make her turn for the next part of the channel.  This seems like an interesting part of the river, the current is always moving fairly quickly.
She turns a little more.
I kept this shot because of the buoy in the background.  I think that is one of the channel markers.
The second head shot that you get from this vantage point.
She makes the turn for the other part of the channel.
Framed by the Blue Water Bridge.
she moves down the river a little further.
The almost beam shot.
And a beam shot.  This is probably one of the better spots to go boatwatching.  The ships are fairly close.
A shot of her pilothouse.
She starts to pass on.
A shot of her stern.
And one more shot before the next ship.

No comments: