Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Langley Covered Bridge

So I stopped by this bridge.  I stopped here a while ago when I did the covered bridges of Michigan.  Unfortunately it was late in the day, so I wasn't terribly happy with my pictures.
 This time the sun was about at a perfect angle.  It is the Langley Covered Bridge and is near Centreville which is the seat of St. Joseph County.  It is the longest remaining covered bridge in Michigan.
 The bridge spans the St. Joseph River and was built in 1887.  It was the first bridge built in this location though.  The first bridge washed out in the year this one was built.
 It is named after the family that helped settle Centreville.
 In 1940, some restoration work was undertaken so that it could take automobile traffic.
 This is one of a few covered bridges that is left in Michigan.  As such, many people come visit it.

It is a pretty neat looking bridge.

No comments: