Saturday, May 1, 2021

Catching Up With the Lee A. Tregurtha

 Since I couldn't catch her coming into Dearborn, I was hoping to catch her leave Dearborn.

I thought she was going to leave some time early Saturday morning but she kept staying there.  I thought that it was perhaps due  to winds or some other reason.
Well it turns out that the other reason was that she was loading iron fines.  When I saw her this time, I saw that her destination was Burns Harbor.
Looking at how low she was riding on the water, she was definitely loaded.
If I remember correctly, iron fines have a long loading time.  Based on my observations, it took almost 36 hours for them to load her.
I think that is roughly the time it will take her to go from the Rouge River to Burns Harbor.  But I don't understand why she would take them there since they have a steel mill.
It's possible another ship will pick them up to deliver them elsewhere.
Typically that ship is the Sykes.
At any rate, it was nice to catch the Lee A. Tregurtha.
She is one of my favorite boats and I don't see her often enough.
She is one of the war veterans on the Lakes.
With the scrapping of the ship that was laid up in Superior, that number is getting lower.
She is a nice looking ship and because of her prior role, she has an unusual bow on the Lakes.
It is more common on the ocean.
A relatively clean picture.
One more.
And then I switched to my drone.
I didn't want to move it out further.  If you look in the back, you can see the supports for the new bridge.
She looks even nicer from the air.
A beam shot.

And she continues on her way.


No comments: