Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Catching Up With The Michipicoten Finally

 This ship has been down this way at least three times before in this season.  And I haven't been able to catch her in any of those three times.  When I saw that she was headed down on Saturday, I decided to head up to Port Huron to catch her.

The Michipicoten was coming down from Bruce Mines which is at the top of Lake Huron to the east of Detour Island.  The temperature was climbing up, so I was getting a bit of heat haze in my pictures.
At least the heat  haze wasn't as bad as it was on Friday night.  I don't think I could have gotten these shots at all on Friday night.
The Michipicoten is sort of famous.  When she was the Elton Hoyt, she was in the opening scenes of Grosse Point Blank as they panned over the Detroit River.
She is probably one of the more classic lakers out there.
She presents the first bow shot at this spot.
She has been almost exclusively used to move iron ore from either Duluth or Marquette to the Sault Ste. Marie steel mill in Ontario.  
Because of that, her sides have a slight reddish tint from the iron dust.
I think she was heading down to Detroit.  And I think that was with a load of iron.
Anyway, it was nice to see her because it doesn't happen so often on this end of the state.
I have a feeling it will happen more though.
She starts to make her turn for the other part of the channel.
It's really neat to watch this.
She gets close to the bow shot.
And the bow shot.  The only other way to get a shot like this is to get in a boat.  Or perhaps if I got brave with my drone.
She makes her turn towards the St. Clair River.
The bottom of the Blue Water Bridge.
One more shot with my normal camera.
So then I switched to the drone.  It was a little windier on Saturday, so I couldn't take it up as high as I wanted.
I think I'm fine with that, I think the ship gets lost in the background when the drone is too high.  I can still get different views from this angle.
She makes the turn past me.
And starts to turn towards the river.
And almost beam shot.
A stern shot.  You can see Frontenac off in the distance.
I kind of wish I could have caught her coming out.
Back to my regular camera.
She makes another turn.
One more shot before the next ship.


No comments: