Saturday, September 18, 2021

Catching a Cool Sight

 So last Sunday, I had to go to my cousin's daughter's (so I guess my cousin), birthday party.  Before heading over there, I heard that the Goodyear blimp was leaving Ypsilanti.  I decided to head over to Willow Run to catch it.  I wasn't sure if I would or not but I was happy when I saw it.

I can't really call it a blimp as it is actually a Zeppelin.  Goodyear's current three blimps were built by the Zeppelin company.  While it is not the same company that built the Hindenburg, it is descended from it.
In 2011, Goodyear confirmed that they wanted to replace their blimps with Zeppelins.
The first one was called Wingfoot One and it was stationed in Popano Beach, Florida.  It was delivered in 2014.
The second one was called Wingfoot Two and it was stationed in Carson City, California.  It was delivered in 2016.
The third one was called Wingfoot Three (this one) and is stationed in Suffield Township, Ohio.  It was delivered in 2018.
The Zeppelin is crewed by two and can carry 12 passengers.  It can fly at a maximum speed of 77 miles per hour.  It can get up to 8,500 feet.  It has a range of 559 miles.
This is a Bombardier Phenom taking off.
Goodyear does not allow the public to ride on the Zeppelins.  It only allows members of the press and people related to the company.  Apparently, they have a contest for their stores on occasion.
As I was waiting for the Zeppelin to take off, Hairless Joe took.  I wish I had my longer lens but this wasn't too bad blown up.
A beam shot.
And then I caught a Sirrus SR22.
And then the blimp was starting to take off.  They could tilt the front propellers to help with liftoff.
It was amazing how effortlessly it lifted into the air.  I suspect the helium had something to do with that.
These look so cool in flight.  And given that there are only 28 of them in the world, that makes it doubly so.
I'm not sure these would have been viable even if the Hindenburg hadn't blown up.  Helium is getting rarer and more expensive to acquire.  There are only a handful of qualified blimp pilots in the United States.
The gondola.  I would imagine it is more spacious than it looks.
I had too much lens on my camera.
She starts to head towards Akron.
One more shot before moving on.


No comments: