Friday, September 10, 2021

The Lee A. Tregurtha on the Rouge River

 On Wednesday, I saw that there were a couple of ships heading towards Detroit.  I was thinking that I would go to Belle Isle to catch them.  That is until I saw that the Lee A. Tregurtha was making her way up the Rouge River.

I've caught Lee on the Rouge before but not with my drone.  So this was kind of cool.
I started at the Fort Street Bridge because I just missed her at the Jefferson Bridge.  The Jefferson Avenue Bridge was going down as I was approaching.
I was going to catch her at the Fort Street Bridge regardless.  I guess as long as there weren't any issues with the railroad bridge.
Because she was heading to the steel mill, she was carrying taconite.
The light was just about right but I didn't count on the shadows on my ship.
It kind of made it look like she hand a funky paint job.
But I think of the pictures, I like this one the best.
One more shot before moving on.
And then I headed over to the Dix Avenue Bridge to catch her with my regular camera.
I was thinking about using the drone here but the area is not really good for drones.  There are too many wires.
The light was just about perfect for my regular camera though.
And I love catching ships on the Rouge River.
I wish the water was a little calmer though.
She approaches the bridge.
One more shot before the Bridge.
A shot of her pilothouse.
A closeup so that you can see her ribbons from her service in World War II.
Her bow pops up on the otherside.
Her anchor.
Another shot of her pilothouse.
She continues past.
Her hatch crane.
Another shot of the rear of her pilothouse.
She is almost fully loaded.  The diamond with the line through it is her fully loaded line.
A passageway.
Her boat.
Her stack.
The US flag flying proudly in the breeze.
She makes the turn for the steel mill.
And this is probably my favorite shot on the lakes.


No comments: