Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Candian National Train

As I was leaving Michigan State's Campus, I heard the sound of a train whistle. Being me, I stopped because the track was not too far away and I could see it. The train was a Canadian National Train.
I don't remember if I've ever done a history of the Canadian National or not. So here it is.

The Canadian National Railway was established between 1918 and 1923 comprising of several bankrupt and fallen railroads that fell into the Canadian Government's hands. In 1918, a board of management was appointed by the Canadian Government to oversee the Canadian Northern Railway because it feared the loss of major transportation links. This board was expanded to cover other railways and this all eventually became the Canadian National Railways. Over the next years, this was fought by some of the shareholders of the railroads (Mostly the Grand Trunk Railroad) that were taken over but eventually the Government retained control.

The CN ran passenger service until 1978 when that was taken over by Via. It also owned a number of hotels and a radio station. In 1995, this was privatized and the company acquired the Illinois Central and Wisconsin Central giving it a United States Presence as well.

No comments: