Monday, June 6, 2011

The Denver Zoo

The next stop on my trip was the Denver Zoo. The weather looked like it was going to cooperate with me until I actually got inside the zoo. Oh well.

The Denver Zoo was founded in 1896 with the donation of an orphaned black bear. It would become the first zoo to use naturalistic enclosures instead of cages.

The first area I visited was the lion enclosure. It was pretty neat as it actually had three different areas. Apparently, the animals are switched between the areas so that the lions can get the scents of their prey. There was a nice building and glass so that the lions would get up really close.
The African Wild Dogs were in another part of the lion enclosure.
They had a nice kangaroo enclosure but not as nice as the one at the Detroit Zoo.
Seeing a cheetah was pretty cool as I don't get to see those in Detroit.
I think this is a younger bighorn sheep.
Not sure what kind of bird this is.
The monkey area was pretty neat too. There were lots of enclosures which was a good thing because of the rain.
One of the flamingoes.
I think this was a gazelle.
One of the seals.
The tiger exhibhit there was pretty neat too. They had a couple younger tigers. Unfortunately, the rain and cool weather caught up to my camera and it was fogging up.

No comments: