Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Some Wildlife Around (and on) the Dam

I will admit that one of the reasons why I picked the Barton Dam was that I was hoping that I would get some pictures of some wildlife. Unfortunately, the river has been flowing too much for that and I haven't really ventured too far into the park itself. So I was happy to get some animal pictures.A painted turtle climbing the dam. In 1995, the painted turtle was designated as the state's reptile as it is the only turtle still common in the state. There are other turtles native to Michigan but they are rare. These turtles are snapping turtles, Blanding's turtle, musk turtle, spotted turtle, wood turtle and the eastern box turtle. When I was a kid, I would catch painted turtles and keep them as pets for the summer and let them go before the winter. I also had a couple baby snapping turtles.
A pair of ducks.

No comments: