Monday, June 20, 2011

Gallup Park Again...

Tonight I decided to stop by Gallup Park on the way home. It was a nice enough night and I haven't been there for a while. I'm glad that I stopped there because I got a chance to see something I don't think I've ever seen before....So as I got out of the car, I looked out towards the water and saw this family of swans. I don't think I have ever seen baby swans before. I've seen duck and geese with their families but never swans. Now looking at swan babies, I am not sure why the book was called the ugly duckling. Anyways, it was pretty neat to see though.
Swans are beautiful to look at but they are vicious buggers. One time, I nearly had one chasing after me.
The mom and a couple of her babies. It was interesting to watch them line up when the swan started to move someplace else.
A closeup of the swan's head. This is one of the nice things about the zoom lens.
A duck that was pestering the swan family. The father swan would occasionally nip at him to make sure he kept his distance.
A closeup of one of the baby swans. As I said, I'm not sure why it's called an ugly duckling in the book.
As I was wandering the park, I heard the sound of jet engines and me being me had to look up. I think it's a Delta Airlines 757 or 767.
Anyways, this swan was less pleased about some geese in the area. He moved away from the family and all of the sudden I heard the sound of wings flapping against the water. Hoping to catch a decent picture I went in that direction. I couldn't quite get the picture of the flapping but this shot has his wings raised up.
This was him as he was about to start flapping his wings. I tried to get the next shot as he started to sort of take off and flap his wings against the water.
After he messed around with the geese and was victorious, he swam back to his family.
The mother and her babies.
The family reunited.
And a picture of the offending geese.

No comments: