Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Grand Hotel

This is kind of a shot of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.
It has been a long time since I've been over to the Island. I've been meaning to get over there one of these days, but I think that would involve getting up there earlier so that I would have some time on the Island. Maybe I might make that a goal this year.
Construction on the Grand Hotel began in 1886 when the Michigan Central Railroad, the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad and the Cleveland Steamship Company formed the Mackinac Island Hotel Company. The group purchased the land and construction began immediately. The Hotel opened a year later. The hotel was advertised as a vacation destination across the Midwest.
The porch is 660 feet long and is purported to be the longest in the world. Its guest list has included five Presidents, Thomas Edison and Mark Twain.

No comments: