Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrement

My mom wanted to go to Utrecht which is an art supply store on Woodward Avenue, so I decided to take Woodward from the Zoo.  Woodward Avenue is certainly worth the drive because there is a ton of history along it.
 The place I stopped at was the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrement.  This has been on this blog before.  In fact, I think I even got shots of the interior that time but it is a beautiful church so I will post pictures again.
 The Blessed Sacrement parish was established in 1905 but it was plagued with finanical problems.  Construction of the Church began in 1913 but proceeded slowly and by 1930 the interior was completed.
 Detroit was elevated to an archdiocese in 1937 and this church was chosen to be the Cathedral.  The exterior was not completed until 1951.
This is an example of Gothic Revival architecture.

No comments: