Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Heading Up North

I decided to head up to the Soo over the weekend.  I was thinking that I would go there, catch a few boats and possibly make it over to Tahquamenon Falls.  I was also hoping that I would see some color but it seems like it pretty much skipped from green to barren.  We had a pretty odd fall and that contributed to it, I think.

It's funny, I think "Up North" is a Michigan phenomenon.  Many times when people go on vacation here, they state that they are heading "Up North" because that's where all the fun stuff is.  There's hiking, biking, fishing, etc.  In the winter, there's skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing and possibly hunting.  There may be other states, but it seems like many of their vacation areas are other directions from their main population centers. 
 I wasn't driving this time, so I had an opportunity to take pictures from the car.  I'm not sure what part of I-75 we were on, but there was a bit of color here.  As you can see from the sky, there was a bit of weather.
 We stopped at a rest area with a scenic overlook.  It's actually quite nice.
 And the view is pretty amazing too.  As you can see, there was a fair amount of color but there were many places where it was just bare branches.
 I kind of liked the spiral pattern here.
 The contrast of the colored leaves to the green.
 Looking down I-75 to the south.
 For some reason, this is a good interpretation of fall in Michigan.  Rain with some color.
 The sun was trying to make an appearance.  Sadly, no rainbows.
 We finally got within view of the Bridge.  I kind of wish I would have gotten other pictures from the freeway.
 A hot dog restaurant in Mackinaw City.  I liked the flag with the hot dog.  One of these days, I'll have to try this place.
This was on the way over to Wilderness State Park.  I'm not sure what it's here for, but it was kind of picturesque.

No comments: