Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Next Up...The American Century

As I said in my last post, I ended seeing an example of pretty much every type of ship that plies the Great Lakes.  The next ship is one of thirteen that travel the Lakes.
 The American Century is one of the thousand footers that carry cargo on the Great Lakes.  People lament the loss of the number of ships on the lakes.  That's not terribly surprising considering that one of these ships can carry the same amount of cargo as roughly 5 of the older ships.
 The American Century was returning from the Monroe Power Plant where she was delivering coal.
 She was heading up to Duluth where she will pick up more coal.  I'm not sure where she is heading after that.
 The American Century is framed by the Blue Water Bridge.
 I'm kind of glad that it was a nice day.  It made for nice blue water.
 Sadly, I was shooting into the sun for some of these.
 I love it when I can get pictures of the flag with pictures of the American Century.
 It's amazing to think that a five story building is floating on the water.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
And she continues on her way to Lake Huron, the Soo Locks and Lake Superior.

No comments: