Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The American Courage in the Soo Locks Under Cover of Darkness

After watching the Blough pass, we decided to grab dinner at the pasty place in Mackinaw City.  That was pretty good although I got the chicken pasty this time (which is probably a bit of a sacrilege).  Then we headed up to my final destination, Sault Ste Marie.

I was going to stay at the Holiday Inn Express but apparently the reservation I made for a room with two beds (I was traveling with my mom) turned into a room with a king sized bed and a jaccuzzi.  So I asked for alternatives and the hotel was booked solid (probably overbooked).  Then I asked for a rollaway but they couldn't give me one because of a supposed fire hazard.  So then I asked for my money back but they said they couldn't refund me because I did the super saver and the reservation came through as "first available" or some such.  I ended up saying I didn't want the room.

So I went to the Ojibway (which should have been my first choice anyway), they had a room.  I called the 1-800 number for Holiday Inn and got the same runaround.  So I called Discover to have the payment disputed, hopefully that will work.  If not, I will chock that up to experience and move on.

It turned out fine for me, because the Ojibway is right next to the locks, so I could walk over to catch my next ship.
 The American Courage was in the locks as I was settled down at the hotel, so I headed over there.  Sadly, it was raining and despite my best efforts, I couldn't keep the rain drops off my lens.  Oh well, I still got cool pictures but not good pictures.
I kind of wish I would have brought my tripod with me, but I didn't, so I had to use a higher ISO.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 Another shot of her pilothouse.
And taking the long view.

No comments: