Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Old Mackinac Lighthouse

If I have 1000 pictures of the Mackinac Bridge, I probably have about 500 of the Old Mackinac Lighthouse.  Pretty much every time  I stop at the park, I get some pictures of it.  But I'm fine with that because it's a cool looking lighthouse.
 The lighthouse was built in 1889.  The base used Ashlar limestone and the building used Cream City brick. The tower has a height of 50 feet.  The light itself was visible for 16 miles making it helpful for the shipping traffic in the area.
 The completion of the Mackinac Bridge in 1957, eliminated the need for the lighthouse since the bridge made a better aid to navigation.  In 1960, the lighthouse was bought by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission and was added to the land containing Fort Michilimackinac.
 In the day, the tower would have contained a 4th Order Fresnel Lens.
 It's still a pretty cool looking lighthouse.
 I think it looks even cooler in the rain because the roof is sort of shiny.
 Just getting it from different angles.

And a shot with the bridge that replaced it.

No comments: