Sunday, June 6, 2010

Coast Starlight - Part 1

The next part of my trip was on the Coast Starlight, which goes from Seattle down to Los Angeles. I would only be taking it to Emeryville (near San Francisco) though. The route is based on routes that were run by the Southern Pacific Railroad back in the day.

This is one of the Boeing factories. I wish I had my camera ready just before we were leaving Seattle because I saw some plane bodies heading down to one of the Boeing plants.

This is another shot of the factory. This plane is the P-8 which is going to replace the P-3 Orion.

The bridge nearest was built in 1950 to replace the famous Tacoma Narrows Bridge that ended up collapsing into the river in 1940. The other bridge was added in 2007 to relieve traffic on the first bridge. When they did that, they made eastbound traffic go on one bridge and westbound on the other.

A shot as we were passing between the bridges.

Leaving the bridges.

I'm not sure what island this is but I thought it was pretty neat.

The Olympia-Lacey train station. This is one of the classic stations that is still used.

Centralia, Washington.

A railroad bridge. You can see the train entering the bridge.

The St. John's Bridge in Portland. This bridge is slightly north of the city and was built in 1931.

No comments: