Saturday, June 11, 2016

Finishing with the Callaway

The last boat of the evening would be another one of my favorites.
 The Callaway was also unloading in Detroit.  In fact, I think she was on the Rouge River.  She finished at about the same time as the H. Lee White, so she wasn't all that far behind.
 I was pretty happy to see her because that would mean that I would see two of the classic lakers owned by the Great Lakes Fleet.  If I could have stayed about five hours longer, I had a chance to catch the Philip R. Clarke as well.
 But it was nice catching the Callaway.  She had a pretty odd story in the past couple of weeks.  Apparently, there was a bear cub trying to see refuge on her while she was loading at Two Harbors.  The Minnesota DNR was contacted and they removed the bear.  Nobody was hurt, which was the important part of the story.
 I love the looks of these boats.
 She's framed by the Blue Water Bridge.
 A fuller shot of her.
 Her pilothouse.
 And deckhouse.
 She makes her way out to Lake Huron.
She continues on her way to Calcite where she will pick up a load of stone.

No comments: