Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Visit to the Toledo Airport

I decided to visit the Toledo Express Airport last Saturday after I heard that the F-16s there might be conducting twilight flight operations.  I've seen pictures of what an F-16 looks like at twilight and I thought I could get some cool pictures.

Sadly, I wasn't able to catch them conducting flight operations but I did look around the airport for a spot where I could get some pictures at a future date.  I was able to get this picture of their hanger and some F-16s hanging around outside of it.

Toledo is the home of the 180th Fighter Wing and these planes are part of 112th Fighter Squadron.  The squadron has its roots from the 117th Aero Squadron which was formed in 1917 for World War I.  In 1927, it become the 112th Observation Squadron and is one of 29 original observation squadrons for the National Guard formed before World War II.

In 1962, the squadron was authorized to expand to the group level.  The 112th become the units flying squadron.  It is also the home of the 180th Headquarters, 180th Material Squadron, 180th Combat Support Squadron and the 180th USAF dispensary.  If activated, it becomes a part of the 121st Tactical Wing in England.

The Wing received its F-16s in 1992.  Prior to that it flew F-100s and A-7s.

No comments: