Friday, June 5, 2020

Watching Some Aerial Exercises

On Tuesday I saw a post on the Michigan Planespotting group from the Grayling Training Center that F-16s from the Ohio National Guard would be practicing this week.  They gave a spot where you could watch it as it happened.  It was a spot up by Waters, Michigan.  I had an idea where it was.

So yesterday I headed up there to see what I could see.
 After following the direction that they gave, I was able to find the spot.  It was on a dirt road that was just outside of their target area.  I knew that I found the right spot when I saw this red flag.  I assumed this is flying when they are doing stuff here.
 This looked like a control tower of some sort.  I'm not sure what it is used for.
 This was an Emirates 777 heading towards Chicago O'Hare.
 This turkey buzzard caught my eye.
 He was just flying around.
 One more shot.
 Next I saw a United 787 heading to Chicago O'Hare.
 The National Guard post said that the F-16s would appear around 2:00.  They showed up at about 2:15 (or so).  I got the impression they would be closer to the ground from some pictures that I found.  That wasn't the case but I think it might have been too windy for low level training.
 Fortunately I can blow up the pictures pretty well but it was pretty hot out, so I was getting a bit of heat haze.
 It was humid, so that made for some condensation.
 It flew away.
 And then it appeared over head again.  It was kind of tough to track them because I wasn't sure where they would be coming from.
 After it went through a strafing run, it would peel away.
 I kind of like the shot in the clouds.
 These are the air brakes.
 I'm not sure what the pod under the cockpit way.  I'm wondering if it was some kind of laser thing so it could simulate a strafing run.
 Another flight over head.
 The training session lasted about a half hour.  While it wasn't quite what I expected it was still pretty cool to see.  I don't usually get to see military aircraft out in the wild so to speak.
 There were quite a few of these in the area.
A sign warning people about the potential danger.

No comments: