Monday, June 22, 2020

And the Main Event

Like I said in the last post, I arrived in Grand Haven with plenty of time.  There were a few more parking spots this time but the State Park was packed.  I think there are a few people that are in the same boat as me in that they are furloughed.  Plus it was a nice day.
 The Mississagi was a couple miles out when I arrived.  You can see her lining up for the channel.
 She gets a little closer and is a little more prominent compared to the lighthouse.
 For the most part I could get enough shots without pleasure boats.
 The Mississagi was coming down from Manistee after delivering part of her load there.  She was coming to Grand Haven to deliver the rest.  I think she was coming from Bruce Mines with stone.
 It was nice to catch her because she's a beautiful boat.
 And I think she is not long for this world but I'm not sure.  I think alot of that depends on when she had her last five year inspection.
 Another shot with the Lake Michigan as the background.
 The other channel marker.
 She passes into the channel.
 I think at this point, she is well past the lighthouse.  Especially since she kind of dwarfs the lighthouse.
 It's hard to believe that she is almost 80 years old.  That's one of the nice things about ships on the Lakes, fresh water is not nearly as corrosive so lake boats can last forever as long as there is demand.
 I think some of the machinery may cause an issue.  When that happens, some companies will convert the ship in to a barge and use her for a while longer.
 I'm not sure what is going to happen to the Mississagi when that day comes.
 Until that day, I will enjoy her.
 A shot from behind her pilothouse.
 The diamond with the "AB" on it shows the maximum draft for a load.  The "F" shape near it, shows different loads for different seasons.  The numbers show the ships draft.  In this case, about 15 feet of her is under water.
 A shot of her deckhouse.
 And a shot of her stack.  I think these are pretty cool ships but I'm not a fan of what appears to be a Blackhawks logo.
 She was flagged Canadian when her current owners acquired her.   I'm not sure what the different bulbs are.  I think one of them contains her AIS.  Another one might be a cell tower.
A stern shot before heading home.

No comments: