Sunday, June 7, 2020

Missing the Kaye Barker

I thought that I would head over to Grand Haven yesterday because the Kaye E. Barker was pulling out.  Generally ships back out of Grand Haven, so it looks like they are coming in.  I got a pretty late start and I wasn't sure if I was going to catch her or not.

As I pulled off the freeway to go to Grand Haven, I got my first hint that things may be busier than I am used to.  The street going from I-96 to US-31 was packed.  It took me a little bit to get through Spring Lake.  The traffic wasn't much better when I got to US-31.  I turned on Jackson Street to get to the lighthouse and it was packed.  The parking lot by the Pere Marquette 1223 was full.  The parking lots by the marinas were full.  The parking lot by the hot dog place was full.  I was hopeful as I reached the State Park but people were pulling out of that lot and I realized I would not get a spot there.  I did manage to see the Barker pull out though but unfortunately, no pictures.
 So I decided to head over to South Haven.  It was just as crazy but I was able to get a parking spot, so that I could at least get some pictures of the lighthouse.  I was happy to catch a sailboat as it was heading in.
 I think today was the first day that the Governor said people could travel.  It was also pretty nice, so people were taking advantage of that.
 As you can see, they weren't really social distancing, so I hope this doesn't mess up the curve in two weeks.
anyway, it was nice to get over to this side of the state.

No comments: