Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Catching Up with the Algoma Strongfield

I don't remember the last time I've caught the Algoma Stronfield but I think it has been a while.
 If I remember correctly, the Algoma Strongfield was originally bought by the Canadian Wheat Board and was going to be run by Algoma Central.  I think the deal with the Canadian Wheat Board fell through but Algoma Central kept the ship.
 Because she doesn't have a self-unloader, she is what is known as a straight decker.  I think that means she is almost exclusively used for grain trades.
 Basically she is unloaded by these giant hoppers.
 I think she was coming down from Thunder Bay.
 And I think she would be heading to Montreal where she would unload and another ship would take the grain elsewhere in the world.  I recently read an article that said that Canada is doing a bang up job getting wheat out.
 With the amount of other cargoes being down, that helps, I think.
She passes by.  If she's headed for Montreal, I think that is another three days of travel (at least).

No comments: