Thursday, May 21, 2020

Outsmarting Myself for the Blue Angels

So last Monday, I found out that the Blue Angels were going to be doing their "America Strong" flyover for Detroit.  They posted a schedule and I saw that they would be at Detroit Metro Airport.  I thought that they would be stopping there for fuel, so I thought I would get a decent shot if I went to my normal spot there.

Also, I was worried that there would be a ton of people down in Detroit where they would be flying.  I really wanted to try to avoid large crowds.  For those two reasons, I decided on the airport.
 While I was waiting, I thought I would get some airplane shots.  Sadly, there were other ideas for that as they were going to the other runway.  It didn't help that it was a hot and muggy day, so all of my shots have heat haze in them.  This A321 was arriving from Atlanta and normally it would be flying nearly over me.  It went to Runway 22.
 I think this E175 was arriving from Columbus.  Again, same story as above.
 A Southwest 737.  I think this one was arriving from Baltimore.
 So we get the Blue Angels.  They didn't land at the airport like I was expecting (or hoping).  They flew past the airport but they were far to the north.  If I had gone with my original instincts, I would have gotten better pictures from downtown Detroit.
I'm not sure if the Willow Run Air Show has been cancelled yet but there is a strong possibility that will happen.  I'm hoping if that is the case, they just move everything back a year.  I didn't get decent shots of the Blue Angels last year, so I'm hoping I get some decent shots this year.

No comments: