Monday, May 18, 2020

Fort Gratiot Lighthouse

I'm about a week and a half behind on my posting.  Lately, I've had no problem taking the pictures.  But I seem to hit a roadblock when it gets around to posting them.  Sometimes, it's a simple matter of resizing them for posting here (I don't use the full size pictures because I'd run out of space really quickly).  Other times, I have to adjust the exposure and straighten the horizon.  That takes time and sometimes it is frustrating straightening the horizon (despite my best efforts to get a straight horizon in the camera).  So sometimes my posting lingers but eventually I catch up.
 So when I last left you, I decided to head up to Port Huron.  I saw that there was picture of some red trillium that was taken there.  Based on some of the aspects of the picture, I thought it might have been taken by the lighthouse.  Well, I didn't find the trillium but it was a nice day, so  I got some pictures of the lighthouse.
 Built in 1829, Fort Gratiot is the oldest lighthouse in the state of Michigan.  It was built as a guide to the entrance of the St. Clair River.  It is still an active navigation aid but it has been turned over to the lighthouse preservation group.  Lately, they've been trying to restore it to how it looked when it was also a lifesaving station.
Anyway, it has been a while since I've taken pictures of the lighthouse, so this was nice.

No comments: