Tuesday, May 12, 2020

And Embury Road

So we headed over to Embury Road.
 First up were the star flowers.
 These are pretty nice looking flowers.
 I have a feeling they are no longer there though.
 It was a nice sunny day.  I think I prefer cloudy days for flowers.
 Some marsh marigolds.
 I kind of like this shot.  You can see the sun reflecting off the water that was flowing under them.
 ONe flower.
 Another single flower.
 I think this is a violet.
 I think this is a bellwort.
 A May pop.
 I saw these guys as we were on a road by there.  It was cool to see a sandhill family.
 And they were being very cautious.
 I think this is the same turtle I always see there.
 It is a Blanding's turtle.
 This is considered an endangered species but they typically live to be 80 or 90 years old.  These are very shy turtles and you have to approach carefully or you will find yourself taking a picture of a log.
They are named after Dr. William Blanding who was an American naturalist born in Massachusetts in 1773.  He died in 1857.   Over the years, he acquired a large collection of minerals, coins, shells and fossils.  They were donated to Brown's Museum of Natural History.

No comments: